This week the House of Representatives passed a government funding bill that allegedly “defunds ObamaCare” but… not really. They also tried to cut food stamps, push nuclear power, exempt mining from environmental regulations, and more… Links to Information in This Episode
Bills Discussed in this Episode
- Continuing Resolution (H.J. Res. 59) for 2014, the bill that funds the government until December 15, 2013 and supposedly “defunds ObamaCare”.
- H.R. 3102: “Nutrition Reform and Work Opportunity Act”, the bill the cuts food stamps by $40 billion.
- H.R. 1410: “Keep the Promise Act“, the bill that stops construction of a casino near the Arizona Cardinals’ football stadium.
- S. 793: “Organization of American States Revitalization and Reform Act”, the bill that promotes the OAS as the main diplomatic group in Latin America and prevents the U.S. from funding over 50% of the OAS.
- H.R. 761: “National Strategic and Critical Minerals Production Act”, the bill that changes the definition of “infrastructure” to include mining projects and exempts them from environmental regulations.
Congressional Dish episodes that detailed the Continuing Resolution for 2013, the provisions of which are extended in the Continuing Resolution for 2014:
- CD019: Continuing Resolution, Part 1
- CD020: Continuing Resolution, Part 2
- CD021: Trailblazer vs. Thinthread (the first half)
“Wonkbook: Shutting down the government won’t stop Obamacare. It might even help it.” by Ezra Klein and Evan Soltas, September 20, 2013, Washington Post blog
“New resources available to help consumers navigate the Health Insurance Marketplace”, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services press release, August 15, 2013.
Indian Tribes Get Obama Casino Support That Bush Blocked by Julie Bykowicz, Bloomberg, September 17, 2013.
Trent Franks’ (author of H.R. 1410, the casino bill) #10 largest contributor in the last election was Akin Gump, the lobbying firm that represented the wealthy Gila River Indian Community – current casino owners- in lawsuits attempting to shut down the new casino.
The Council on Foreign Relations background information page on the Organization of American States.
Buy the Shock Doctrine & support Congressional Dish
Representatives Quoted in This Episode
How you can help the show...