The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is an international treaty being negotiated in almost total secrecy by the United States and eleven other nations. This week, Wikileaks published one of the twenty-nine chapters, the chapter on Intellectual Property. In this episode, we highlight the details of the patent and copyright laws contained in the leaked TPP chapter and then we quickly look at the bills that passed the House of Representatives this week.
Music in This Episode
The English and Japanese versions of “Lets Stop the TPP” produced by Consumers International.
Links to Information in This Episode
The leaked chapter of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, released on November 13, 2013 by Wikileaks .
- PDF and web version available
- Congressional Dish episode that presented an overview of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Genetically modified corn has pesticides in the corn itself
- Information sheet from the University of Kentucky, College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment.
Aereo gives you access to basic cable stations for about $8/month (if available in your city).
- Funds research into premature births and funds the care of chimpanzees at the National Institutes of Health.
- Funds these things at a lower rate than they were funded from 2007-2011.
- Allows organs taken from people with HIV to be transplanted into people with HIV.
- Gives a cost of living increase to disabled veterans.
- Allows the Supreme Court to have personal security outside of the Supreme Court
- Requires public publication of the names and diseases of any person who makes a claim from the asbestos trust fund.
- Imposes mandatory financial penalties for filing “frivolous” lawsuits.
- Eliminates the 21-day grace period to withdraw a lawsuit without financial penalty.
- Allows insurance companies to sell insurance plans that don’t meet the minimum standards set by the Affordable Care Act during 2014.
- Continues the National Emergency begun during the Iran Hostage Crisis of 1979.
- Continues Executive Order 12170, which blocks property of the Iranian Government and Central Bank
How you can help the show...